A year ago, to the day, Firefox 1.0 was launched. So I guess a ‘happy birthday’ is in order. 😎
In the past year this little app shook up the browser world. Among some of the things accomplished are, in no particular order:
- Grab a larger than 10% marketshare. Exceeding the ‘promise’ made at launch.
- Wake up that other browser development team, in Redmond.
- Change the way I work on, code and debug my websites/applications.
- Make companies big or small aware they have to support web-standards a.k.a. not only support IE.
- Inspire Opera to also deliver a fine browser for free.
- Setting a few download records. The current score is more than 106 million downloaded copies (spread over 7 iterations).
- Prove that Feature Creep is bad and Open Source Software doesn’t have to come with a ‘Nerd Alert’.
You also may want to take a look at:
- Firefox quietly celebrates first birthday – ZDNet UK
- Some updated browser statistics: Xiti (en Français), OneStat and WebSideStory.
- Spread Firefox,
although no one over there got the idea of putting up a celebration page.they put up a celebration page. Make your own Birthday Message and put it on the Birthday Gallery
All that is left is the wait for Firefox 1.5 …
Update: Next part is adult only!!! So if you are not of legal age in your corner of the world, try Disney. For Tarantino afficionados: Kill Bill’s Browser LOL 😀 And for some Firefox Ooh Lala.
Firefox, definitely the cutest and sexiest browser in the world! 😉